Saturday, August 30, 2008

Real Season Preview

After a long and rather uneventful transfer season by their regular standards, Real Madrid get ready to kick off their proper season. With a string of preseason victories, which has never happened before, and just one signing, which hasn't happened in a long while either, this is a tricky season to predict. A team was bought last year to last for a few years. And thankfully the management is sticking to a long term plan. Although I would have welcomed maybe one or two more entrants to the squad, I am rather happy with the team for the upcoming season. No worries on goal. Defence doesn't look very concerning either with enough depth with lots of players flexible between centre halves and wing backs. Midfield is a concern, not because of the lack in talent, but the overflow. There are too many left sided players, and too many central midfielders and absolutely nobody on the right. Gago/Diarra/De La Red for the anchor position. Gago would be my automatic choice, but you will need Diarra for some games and De La Red needs to get a game once every few games else he will be off too. Guti/Van Der Waart/Sneijder for attacking midfield. Guti is a genius but unpredictable, Sneijder is the natural choice. Van der Waart is flexible so may be he can be played elsewhere. And to top it all off Robben/Robinho(if he stays) on one wing. That's a selection headache, it's better headache but it's still one. Although I'd kill to be in Schuster's position, this makes me thank god I'm not in it. Forwards is a slight concern. Van Nistelrooy will fetch you the goals, but he isn't getting any younger and Raul is not getting any faster either. Although I love the latter, so much so to an extent I would rate him as one of the top five footballers during my short football watching career, I would say we need fresher blood than him. Higuain is doing well and I just get the feeling Villa will arrive next year at least, if not for a shock transfer with two hours left for the window to close or some such. Bench strength is good, Team is motivated to win the Champions League. I hope this is a good season. We should win the league, and at least proceed to the quarters this time around in Europe. Hala Madrid.

No comments: