Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer, Sports, Spain, Stomach aches.....

Its been quite an eventful last couple of months. And as i prepare to head back 'home' in the next couple of days, I was beginning to think of how great this summer has been. I have done things that I never have or would have before. In the world of sport a lot of things new have come, seen and conquered. Here is the story of the summer of sports,Spain,stomach aches,and some other things.

Summer is supposed to be that time of the year when we get back from college for two months absolute bliss away from college. This was the case for the first few days. Mom's food, Dad returning back to India for good, brother finishing his first hurdle of Class 10, makes for the perfect family time. After a while the repetition to life kicks in. This is where I started getting into some good habits like reading,blogging and gymming. Yes, these were the above mentioned things that i would have never normally done. But I'm happy that I finally have started. A formality project was done, although Poston was a great person to listen to. He has got infinite knowledge about anything under the sun and he speaks with a lovely smooth Brit accent, which makes it a heavenly combination to be audience to. And the crowd there was actually fun, contrary to what I imagined it would be.

In the world of sport, there are some major changes. What must be noted here is that we had something to keep us going all the time. IPL to start off with made sure no night was boring. And then the Euros and eventually Wimbledon. Spain deserves a mention here as the country that takes all the limelight in the world of sport this summer. Deserving champions of the Euro, they were a sight to watch for one and all. And if that wasn't enough, Rafa goes on to do the unimaginable - beat Fedex on Centre Court in the finals. What a great match that was. To call it the greatest match we have seen in a long time would be apt for a match of that standard. After 2 awe-inspiring sets from Nadal, only a man of Federer's calibre could have taken in to the final set. But it was seen that Nadal was the hungrier of the two and definitely deserves the trophy.

For some strange reason, I have suffered with stomach aches once too often these holidays. The latest of which occurred at the end of my trip to Pune and Mumbai. I spent just one day in Mumbai, and that was enough for me to realise that, that is not a place for someone like me. the city is just too big. Just the fact that one day was filled with horrible weather, getting ripped off by taxiwala, travelling in local train to one of the satellite towns which was in the news that day for a website promised free money to everyone who came there (Angry mob, Stones thrown, Policemen, Lathi Charge and what not), God level Vada Pav and Pav Bhaji, made me realise that this city is just too busy for me. Pune was a lot better. It reminded me of what Bangalore was 5 years or so back. Pity that they don't seem to realise and are headed the same way to see the city grow to a mess. Sincere thanks to Ranga,Krum,Ani,Shambavi,Mugdha,Sameer and Shaky for making our trip so memorable.

As a interesting third year of college awaits me, with possibly the most screwy semester with reference to academics, the first time the basketball team plays without Hardeep, an interesting football season ahead with all the transfer rumours about Ronaldo and Real, I cannot wait for what is to come after what has been a summer to remember.


4 comments:

Vikram said...

I hope this sem will be as much fun as the last four...

bala said...

sporting events wise it was awesome.and everything happened in such a neat sequence. ipl ended and then euro. after that the asia cup and Wimbledon.

Unknown said...

Definitely a summer to remember. I realise that science still has a place in my heart after engineering almost drove it away.

Bhargav said...

Yea great summer.. kept me busy with all kinds of shit... from laptop servicing to running around the apartment...

And the project at iisc has given me LOADS to think about.. reminds me of school days.. when learning was actually fun!!