Saturday, June 28, 2008

Best of Mangalore

Two years into engineering, and staying away from home, one would have learnt to appreciate home food. Thanks to the rather bad quality food that is offered at our hostels, and even our canteens, it is not surprising why people flock to Mangalore at every given opportunity. I have often been a victim of this, and even though its hard on the pocket at times, food at Mangalore is the only sort of compensation one has when home food is not available. So I decided to make a list of the 5 best things I have eaten in this wonderful city, that has done justice to my lack of good food. It has seen me evolve from a staunch veggie to one that almost eats anything now. But the fact is that I have never been disappointed at the quality of food this place has to offer at any time of these two years. I will most certainly miss these once I am out of college. Here's to Mangalore, my second most favourite city.

5. Chicken Dum Hyderabadi Biryani at Palkhi
During my first trip to Mangalore as an NITKian with some seniors, Palkhi was often mentioned as the most expensive restaurant in the city and it is not often that people can afford to go eat there. I have been to Palkhi a few times after that, few times enough to know that this dish is brilliant. The closest you can get to authentic Biryani, priced at 100, is quite a steal for the quantity and quality it has to offer.

4. Dal Makhni at Rinku Punjabi Dhaba
There's a good chance you have not heard of this place. But one hungry day, I found this place and I thought to myself I struck gold once done. Roti's are probably a rip off at this place, but the Dal Makhni is simply superb. It even tastes better than the one at Palkhi and its costs just 40 bucks. Now that's a deal for a hungry person who carries a light wallet, which of course describes most NITK guys. The Dhaba is a little hard to find, it is located near KMC Hostels at Attavar, in case you want to give this dish a go.

3. Murg Kali Mirch at Palkhi
This is a regular for me, I probably have had this almost every time I have eaten at Palkhi. Its a little expensive at 120 bucks, but is the best non-vegetarian side dish one can find in Mangalore to eat with Rotis. Oh by the way Palkhi offers a 10% discount on all bills if you flash your NITK Id card. Now that surely is an incentive to at least try this dish once.

2. Paneer Shazlisk at Liquid Lounge
People either do not understand me or brand me an idiot when I say I like LL for the food more than anything else. But trust me, the food there is simply out of the world. There are many dishes that could fit this list but this one beats them all, by a big mile that too. Its a little expensive at 120 bucks, but it is very filling. This dish is a combination of what looks like Ghee Rice in the dark setting of LL along with the most wonderful gravy which has almost innumerable paneer pieces. And they do indeed make a great combination. People who do not drink, who have things against places like LL, have come here to eat this, that should speak volumes.

1. Kori Rotti and Curry at Kori Rotti
Your probably shocked at this. and you probably ought to be if you haven't eaten this. But that's where I tell you to go eat it. This dish is a Mangalore speciality, it basically comprises of what is known as Kori Rotti, which looks something like fried rottis. These rotti's are placed on a plate and hot spicy Chicken Curry is poured over it which makes the Kori Rotti soggy and my god, it is a match made in heaven. It costs 45 bucks and you are full at the end of one plate. The place is located opposite Empire mall and is on the main road, so it is easy to find as well. I have eaten this dish at a Mangalorean home as well, and this place makes it as good as the home version.You just have to try this.

Honourable Mentions: Twister at Cherry Square, Auflauf at Diesel Cafe, Chilly Chicken Lasagna at Froth on Top, Cheese Burst Pizzas at Domino's, Foot longs at Chef's

If you have not eaten any of the above mentioned, please go ahead and do so, you have less than two years left! And please if there's anything I have missed out do let me know :)

15 comments:

Prufrockster said...

Food.

You know, from being a 95kg odd, I'm a 70kg bag of bones and whatever remains of stale fat.

Palkhi, though I don't remember what I got myself, has, more or less, been a very sub-standard experience for me. A seem to find more sweet than necessary in everything I've bought there.

Liquid Lounge and Froth on Top - same guys, right? I've liked the Steak. But there's nothing much in a steak. I learnt all the wrong pronunciations, though. I started off with 'steek' and ended with 'stek', both wrong. Chinese SUCKS here, though.

Hey, did you manage to find any Chinese place?

WE WANTS BAR SPESAL. And you better not bash Old Monk up.

By the way, my room next year will be stocked. Come over :D

Prufrockster said...

I use a lot of 'though'. :|

bala said...

grilled fish with something that resembles mashed potatoes at froth.i don't know what its called but its brilliant.all the fish dishes on offer there are worth mentioning.
grilled chicken at pop taits.the stuffiness of the place will make you sweat but its worth it.
roti's at bittu.
gulab jamun at pandey.

bala said...

and you forgot akshya bar for chicken.
i haven't tried it yet.will visit it first thing next semester.

Bhargav said...

@ Half

Best thing about Mangalore's that it's so timy, you're never far away from anywhere!
And there's a lot of variety at affordable prices, so thats good too.

And I can't say I agree with you about the Palkhi biryani.
It doesn't taste much like the real thing, trust me.(And you ought to,coming from a former Hyderabadi).I know a place in Shivajinagar where it does, though.
And in general, the rice dishes at Palkhi are kinda sweet. Bleck!! Not to my tastes!

Yet to try Kori rotti. :) Been planning to for over 4 years now.

Sizzler ranch deserves a mention I think.Otherwise your list is spot on!

Bhargav said...

@Melancholy

Are you sure you aren't overestimating the bone weight? :)

Half-Light said...

@ melancoholic (the first one to get your spelling right)

I will always thrash OMR unless i have no money for anything else :P, and try hao ming for chinese, it is not extraordinary but nearest to chinese in Mangalore.

@ bala

This was mangalore specific and hence no bittu and akshaya featured

@ Baggy

There are three biryanis at Palkhi, so im not sure if we had the same thing and maybe you have a point in comparing it to hyderabad or even shivajinagar but i'm a noob at this, so i liked this as well

I didn't mention sizzler's ranch because although a good thing for mangalore, they are nowhere close to being classified good sizzlers and hence. But yeah they probably deserved and honourable mention i suppose

Unknown said...

Ranch Special @ Sizzler Ranch. You can order before leaving the campus, so it takes just 10 minutes once you get there. Worth the 140 bucks.

Vineeth said...

Some Like It Hot and the Nutty Veg Pizza are worth mentioning according to me, though i havent tried half the places u just mentioned.

Dr. Flycatcher said...

Jai Sunder.

Vikram said...

Ice creams. They're god-like in Temptations, not Pabba's

the.jaundiced.eye said...

shawarma @ tikka halal

bala said...

speaking of ice cream try hot chocolate fudge in the ice cream shop at saibeen.the best i've had.

Bhargav said...

@ Cryptic
Best egg stuff I've eaten!

@Vikram
Where eet ees??

@Half
What about Srilakshmi Nagapanchami?!
You forgot to mention that!!

Half-Light said...

Hey read above comments ra baggy, only mangalore i said no, thats why no srilakshmi nagapanchami or sunder or akshaya etc.